Just bringing an old topic back to attention. The combat system, while Anet tried to make something revolutionary, away from the trinity, is simply broken.
The main principle of the combat is:
– Everyone can heal/support (role 1)
– Everyone can deal damage (role 2)
– Everyone can tank (role 3)
The problem is… healing & tanking are incredibly undervalued in this game:
- As a healer you’ll do bad because:
– PvE: you don’t need any healers.
– PvP (i’m not talking about mechanics, I’m talking about the fighting): if you go healer, you lower the team’s damage and are nothing but a squishy fishy that can’t even fight back. It’s close to impossible to heal your allies because enemies eat through your health faster than you can heal it, aoe heals are limited to 5 persons and a lot of the heals actually miss because of the crazy movement skills in the game. On top of that, the self-heal is usually higher than anything the healer can do.
- As a tank you’ll do even worse because:
– PvE: you don’t need tanks even less than healers because armour ratings make tiny tiny differences. 3,5k armor compared to 1,8k (lowest possible armor) means about 40% less damage (someone corrected this), while the person with just 2k armour will deal easily 300% more damage through his power/prec, conditions or both.
– PvP: tanks are, like healers, weakening the team, because they contribute less damage and still take a lot because the armor ratings don’t make a big difference. Also the main defensive abilities are dodging and blocking, which are all abilities that can not be used to defend allies because you can’t do it for allies.
So what it comes down to is: damage dealing. The only role in this game is for dealing the most damage as possible in the shortest time, while trying to take as low damage as possible. Yes I’m aware most people run a hybrid build, but still a hybrid build that focuses on getting a lot of damage as the first stat.
This results in 2 strategies.
- Disabling enemies and dealing loads of direct damage in burst
- Stacking conditions on enemies to spike them down over time
Neither healers (players with ~1,5k healing power), neither tanks (people with 2k+ toughness) can do anything against these damage dealers, because:
– direct damage is reduced, but still deals an incredible amount against a regular tank
– condition damage isn’t even reduced by armour and can only be removed through condition removal, and not through heals
The combat becomes very much a matter of stunlocking and/or kiting, leaving barely any room for individual or team strategy because the main principle is take care of yourself.